All Yarn, All the Time

Monday, March 12, 2007

Swatching Lace

I recently got the most gorgeous book, Victorian Lace Today, by Jane Sowerby.

I love just about everything in it and wanted to start swatching some of the patterns to see what I want to make first. My sisters-in-law gave me 3 balls of mohair from Nepal (fair trade imported for the Hunger Site and its related sites) for Christmas, so I thought I would start with that and the pattern for Shoulder shawl in Syrian pattern on page 130. The mohair itself is roughish compared to the Kid Silk Haze I'm used to, but I still really like mohair and this yarn was nice to work with once I got past the animal smell, which did wash out completely, and the yarn softened up quite a bit with washing, too.

Anyway, what started as a swatch became a mini-shawl for Emily's American Girl doll Elizabeth. I had never (that I can recall) done a knitted on border, so I wanted to try that on my swatch, and I think it turned out pretty cute. I didn't do the best job on the corners, but I'm glad I tried it here first. The knitting on wasn't bad once I got into the rhythm, and I think it turned out pretty cool.


The swatch after I blocked it. You can see where I grafted the border together at the top, middle; also how the point is lumpy.

Elizabeth in the shawl. She is about 100 years pre-Victorian (per her story, she's Felicity's friend), but I still think the garment suits her style.

View from the back. Again you can see that I didn't do the best job around the corner, but I love the way the border looks anyway. She might end up with quite a wardrobe of swatches!!

3 Comments:

  • How beautiful!! I think your swatch is great... you did a good job and what a lucky doll. It's great having little girls... isn't it?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:07 PM  

  • I think your "swatch" is gorgeous. The doll is very lucky!
    Carol M.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:44 PM  

  • OH, goodness, you've combined two of my future obsessions in one post! My daughter is too little for an American Girl doll just yet, but when the time comes, I hope she'll want one of the colonial girls as we live in a colonial house (ca. 1739). And since I live with a two-year-old, I can't yet devote the time needed to full-on lace. It looks beautiful! Good luck with the grown-up version.

    By Blogger Kathleen Dames, at 11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home