All Yarn, All the Time

Monday, January 29, 2007

My New Toy

I'm not a big fan of antiques, it's just not my thing, but I found this skein winder in a shop in Delaware and had to have it. I know nothing about it (age, origin) but I bought it for the functionality. I imagine it's pretty old as all the "nails" holding it together are wooden, but it works well. It cleaned up pretty well too, and I'm thinking I might try to figure out how to fix the "ticker" inside the box that is designed to count your rounds out loud for you. The gears are wooden and very cool looking.

The yarn on the winder in the above picture is more of the 100% wool roving I bought locally. I haven't gotten my other fibers in the mail yet but I can't wait. I've spun about 325 yards of this stuff, the latest about 76 yds of maybe DK weight, though I haven't measured it yet. Each batch I spin is so much more even and I'm getting closer to my goal of lace weight, yea me!













I have actually been knitting too, and have finished the back and arms of the blue cabled sweater, and begun on the fronts. I hope to finish that pretty soon, but man is this spinning distracting!!

2 Comments:

  • The winder looks JUST LIKE MY MOM'S!! I wonder if this is hers? ha ha... could be... My Dad sold her's in a garage sale. We won't talk about it though... it hurts!
    Glad you got one... looks beautiful. Happy Spinning and Winding.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:51 PM  

  • Score! It is beautiful and functional.

    Your spinning looks great. I agree, how much more encouragement do you need when someone wants to buy what you spun? :) An E-friend is sending me he spindle so I can sample spinning for myself. Fun, fun!

    By Blogger Pinkwool, at 3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home