All Yarn, All the Time

Monday, October 23, 2006

Icarus Shawl

I finished the Icarus Shawl from summer 2006 Interweave Knits. It went very quickly, and due to the seductive nature of the yarn I subbed for it I was virtually unable to work on anything else for about 2 weeks.

Here she is pre-blocking and blocking, with the medium Kong for size reference. I'm posting the blocking pictures because someone asked me the other day how I do it. Yes, on my living room carpet on top of beach towels, with blocking wires and pins. Some day perhaps I will show it on a person because it is much bigger than I expected.








Pattern
: Icarus Shawl IK summer 2006
Yarn: I subbed Rowan Kidsilk Haze in Meadow (581) 4 complete balls, and since my LYS was out of it I finished the last few rows with Kidsilk Night in white with sparklies - I can't find the label but it's probably 607.
Needles: Addi Natura Bamboo US size 4
Notes: I would recommend this as a beginner shawl for anyone wanting to knit an easy lace shawl. The pattern begins at the center top and works down to 500 something stitches at the edge, and the bulk of the pattern is just simple yo/decrease combinations and stocking stitch to make the rays from the center. The feathery edge pattern is very simple to follow as well, and if you are new to lace, by the time you finish the simple part you would be ready for a little challenge. The yarn, the luscious yarn!! I had 2 balls of this in my stash for at least 2 years, probably 3, waiting for the right project. I have to say I think this was worth the wait, but the 3 balls of magenta I picked up on sale will not languish in the stash because this stuff is fabulous to knit up. Like butter. ahhh.

I did a little 'accounting' after I got this puppy off the needles, and have quite a few things awaiting my attention. I will first finish Little Majolica, since I want to get it done before Elise outgrows it. I also have to finish Roger's socks, and make some new mittens for Emily. Oh, and I have those other fairisle gloves for me, those might be next. So much to make, so little time.

Oh! Check out my poor friend Kay. She is known in our circle as the Sock Princess, and the poor dear just broke her wrist. I got my Posh Yarn in the mail the other day (isn't it gorgeous!?!) and it reminded me of some sock yarn I had dyed (although mine pales in comparison!!), so I gave my home-dyed to Kay to cheer her up. If I were a real friend I would have given her the Posh, but I'm not quite that generous. I'm thinking it's almost too nice for socks, too. :o) Anyway, Kay is too sweet, and is one of the best enablers I know. Love you Kay, get better fast!!!

2 Comments:

  • This shawl takes your breath away! As you were walking away from us today.. Connie and I just stood there like deer in headlights. It just floated in the air. It is so (I can't think of more wonderful words to say) breath taking!!! You must teach us (sorry I got pushy with this request today). We all want to learn to make one of these. You amaze us with your lace skills. Thanks for coming to knit... we really enjoyed it!
    Oh.. and thanks for showing me how you block things.. I must get some wires.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:41 PM  

  • you guys are embarrassing me! Thank you for your compliments and I'm so glad you liked it, but the only magic with lace is in the blocking, oh and choosing fabulous yarn. I think you'll like doing it.

    I'll get something together soon and we'll have a little lace party. Maybe we wait until the Princess is back in action!

    By Blogger Julie, at 12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home