All Yarn, All the Time

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Socks, Socks, Socks, and Sock. Oh, and some freshly dyed yarn.

Today I have lots to show and tell to catch up from not posting all summer.

First: the completed Broadripple socks with the geisha toe.


Yarn: Regia cotton tip & top color
Pattern: non-stretchy Broadripple sock from Threadbear Fiber Arts
Needles: US size 0
Modifications: Split the big toe, just for fun. I was pleased to be able to figure it out, and the socks actually fit very well.

Second: Pink Ribbon Socks for my mom for her birthday (as modeled by Emily):



Yarn: Dalegarn Baby Ull in a lovely soft pink color
Pattern: Pink Ribbon Socks
Needles: don't remember, maybe US size 2
Notes: I didn't make any modifications except only used 2 ribbon repeats, but I have to thank my friend Vicki for gifting me the yarn and pattern for my birthday in July so I could actually have a good idea for my mom's August birthday! Mom is a 17 year breast cancer survivor, yea mom! Sorry about the poor picture quality.

Third: Emily's loud wool knee socks



Yarn: Paton's Classic Wool Merino from stash in black, hot pink, green, and blue
Pattern: Tradition Socks from Sock Hop book (scroll down)
Needles: US size 3 bamboo
Modifications: None, really. These were my first "real" fairisle project, and now I'm just as addicted to colorwork as I am to lace. They were really fun to knit and I quickly figured out how to do the 2-handed knitting which is easier to do than it looks. For the socks, I made them with the same colors, only on the second sock I switched the blue and pink for that mismatched look. Emily loves the color scheme and is very happy that I've finally made her socks - I had refused before because her little feet are growing so darned fast!






Finally: One generic toe-up sock

Yarn: Brown Sheep Wildfoote in bright green and Lana Grossa Weilenweit Multiringel (not the cotton kind) in color 5122
Pattern: Wendy's toe up sock pattern
Needles: US size 0
Modifications: none I guess since the pattern is very generic. For the short row toe, heel, and cuff I used the solid green, and for the rest of the foot and leg I alternated the solid with the self-striping yarn. I think it's a really cool effect. This was my first toe up short row sock, and I have to say I didn't enjoy the method so much, but the sock fits well and I guess I'll make one to match. I may try another toe up method instead of the short rows, we'll see.






And now, for the home dye I did yesterday with about a half pound of fingering weight Kona from Catnip yarns:


We still don't have sunshine and wish I could get a better picture of the color, it turned out so soft and beautiful. I show it here with the intended pattern, the shoalwater shawl from Fiber Trends. And now, since I've finished the shawl club shawl and Elise is napping, I'm going to ball it and begin. :o)

1 Comments:

  • Emily's loud wool knee socks are to 'die' for!!! You just amaze me! I also love the pink ribbon socks... Congrats to your Mom!

    When are you going to have a 'dye'ing' party? You can teach us your tricks to dying.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home