All Yarn, All the Time

Sunday, July 29, 2007

More knitted goodness (plus some spinnings)



First up, another successful knitted item, from Rowan.
Pattern: Stevie by Kim Hargreaves, It's a Tape Thing
Yarn: Rowan Cotton Tape (discontinued) Fever 555 colorway
Needles: I think I used US 10 1/2
Modifications: There was no closure specified in the pattern, so although I quickly finished the knitting in June, I didn't actually put this together until July when I got "Knitting Beyond the Edge" by Nicky Epstein and found this super-cute leaf toggle. This color doesn't seem to photograph well, but it's actually a nice blue-ish purple color. I wore this the other day received many compliments, but nobody thinks it's looks anything like the model in the book, which is true. I'm very happy with this, and like the drop-stitch detail on the hem and cuffs. I also made this a little bit longer than specified, but it's still on the short side.



Oh, and if you haven't yet, you should join Ravelry! I got my invitation a while back, but just recently started entering my projects, and doing that very slowly. The idea is huge, and I think it'll be a great knitting/crochet/fiber resource. I'm just taking it a little bit at a time, but if you are in and you want to see me there, I'm JulieG.



Next up, the Avocado broadripple socks!
Pattern: Broadripple by Threadbear Fiber Arts
Yarn: Cider Moon Flurry in the avocado colorway
Needles: US 1 dp
How many times have I made this pattern? So many I don't even know, but this is the first time I've used the Flurry yarn. I loved it, it is very soft and knit up beautifully. My picture doesn't look perfectly in focus, but you can see how nice it striped up. I have a bag of the avocado Australian Wool that I plan to spin on vacation to make a scarf this fall. How much do I love you, Cider Moon? :o)




Lastly today I have some nice lace weight merino that I spun, about 500 yards, a little less than 4 oz. This is no ordinary merino, however - it is Optimum stretched merino! I bought this fiber at the Knitter's Connection and now I can't find it, but I absolutely love it for both the softness and the sheen, you have to feel it to believe. The process that stretches the wool fibers basically removes the natural crimp and gives the fiber physical properties similar to silk or cashmere, but it also retains some of the merino characteristics, so I'm told. I can't wait to make something with this! Not sure if I'll dye it or keep it this natural color.

That's all for now! thanks for looking.

3 Comments:

  • The cardigan and socks look great. I'm jealous of your spinning :oP

    By Blogger Delana, at 9:08 PM  

  • Ooo, I love Cider Moon too! And I think that their rovings are some of the easiest to spin. You are making such pretty things!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:43 PM  

  • Hi,

    I was googling the Stevie jacket and found your blog - I just wanted to tell you how nicely yours came out! I'm currently working on the same pattern - just started the first sleeve. Yours is very inspiring!

    Karen
    Algonquin, IL

    By Blogger Karen, at 1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home