All Yarn, All the Time

Friday, July 27, 2007

As promised

Not the really informational and interesting post that I intended to make earlier this week, but I put together a quick collection of pictures of stuff I've been doing. But to begin, some "toe painting" the girls did in camp this week (and yes, it's what you think it is - fingerpainting but with their feet and toes):

Emily's

Elise's
Nice, eh?
And now for something that should have been nice, but turned out wrong, for the time being.


Pattern: Shaped Lace Tee from Knitting Lingerie Style by Joan McGowan-Michael
Yarn: 8ish skeins of Noro Lily 70/30 cotton silk
Needles: US 4 Addi circular
Modifications Not enough, apparently.
I love Joan M-M's work, and as soon as this book came out I had to have it. Even if you don't want to make anything from it, it's beautiful to look at and she explains a lot of interesting stuff about lingerie history and evolution. There are many patterns in it that are suitable for "ordinary people" wear, including this cute Tee. However, for some reason I can't get the sleeves right! I've made them 5 times, including 3 times after getting a lovely and helpful note from Joan when I asked for help making this fit middle-aged arms better. It still pulls funny and I cannot make them work, even after aggressively wet blocking it when steaming failed. I'm sure it is just me, and not her pattern, and I'm not just saying that. The pattern is very cleverly designed and quick and easy to knit, and I can't actually say enough good things about the Noro Lily yarn - love it! So, I'm going to put this one away for awhile, and see if a little body shape change in the form of weight loss will help me work this out later. The picture doesn't look great because I wadded it up in a ball in disgust. Oh well.

Next up, a success story.
Pattern: Diamond Mesh from Knitter's magazine summer 2007 by Simona Merchantdest
Yarn: Cotton Fleece from Brown Sheep 80/20 cotton wool blend.
Needles: I'm thinking US 4, but maybe 5. This is why I need to stay on top of documenting things!
Modifications: Changed from cardigan style to pullover top. I also made it a little bit longer, but now that I've worn it I don't think I needed to. Anyway, I didn't see the point in having a sort sleeved lace cardigan, plus I hate to pick up all those placket stitches, so here it is. I made the front like the back and sort of ad-libbed the neck shaping, then made the sleeves, assembled the bodice and sleeves, then knit the bottom lace part in the round while reading Harry Potter 7 this weekend. The book saved me from a long and boring section of the sweater! It fits wonderfully, I love the mustard color, and I love working with Cotton Fleece. I must say I think this works very well, maybe even better than the cardigan version. I got tons of compliments when I wore it today.


You know, I have a lot more to post, and it turns out I am being informative in my explanations, so I'll try to get the rest done this weekend. I have the pictures, so it's just matter of writing! Bye for now!

4 Comments:

  • Saw this posted on the Rav as a finished project. Had to come by and read the mods. It is beautiful! I can see why you rec'd so many compliments. I totally passed over the project in the mag when I saw that it was a cardi. Changing it to a pullover was a brilliant move. I may have to reconsider the project after seeing how well yours turned out. Good job!

    By Blogger Jenny Raye, at 8:15 PM  

  • Both sweaters look great! Out of curiousity, what is wrong with the sleeves on the red one? That sweater is on my want to knit list.

    By Blogger Delana, at 9:07 PM  

  • I also came by from Ravelry. Great idea turning it into a pullover! I liked it in Knitter's Magazine, but I don't like the idea of all those pieces and stitches to pick up. How's about a modeled photo though?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:22 PM  

  • Oh, how do you read and knit at the same time? Is it something I can learn? That would be my dream come true.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home