All Yarn, All the Time

Saturday, April 21, 2007

The New Wheel

I'm mostly caught up posting what I've been doing with this third post this week. I still don't have a picture of the finished first Sunny Day sock, and I don't think I really have a great picture of the wheel, but here she is:



I'm not the wheel naming kind I guess, but if I were to name the wheel it would probably be to call it "Jane" after my dear mom who has been encouraging wheel-buying behavior. Everyone should have a mom like her! Anyway, I picked it up at The Fiber Event last weekend in Greencastle, IN. The weather was crap, but it didn't stop me from thoroughly enjoying myself. As soon as I got the wheel up to my hotel room last Saturday night, I started sampling some of the many wools that I purchased that day and was able to easily whip up some lace, fingering, and novelty thick-and-thin stuff. Roger looked at me like I was crazy, but he still could appreciate the beauty of the wheel.

This is a Jensen Ashley with a 30" wheel, purchased with probably not nearly enough deliberation from the delightful Carl and Shelby Jaeger. The minute I sat down to spin, I was amazed at the ease of use. It comes with 3 sizes of whorls so I can get about any ratio I need, and is double drive with optional scotch tension, which after I figured out the double drive realized I'll probably never need? It's made of cherry wood and stained walnut, and perfectly compliments the antique wool winder I purchased a short while ago. I honestly could not be more pleased.

I finished spinning the 2nd ounce of single for the Sunny Day socks, and plied it with the 1 ounce single I produced on the Ashford I've been using. My plying is much tighter, and I'm going to have to get used to not having to work so hard to get a thin yarn. I love the way it turned out.

Right now I'm working on lace weight singles out of Cider Moon's Atomic colored superwash merino, and it's like heaven. I really think this is only wheel I'll need to do anything I want.


Thank you to the visitors who have come over from Cider Moon to see the Pistachotis. I have really only been spinning since the fall, in earnest since January, and it seems like it's something I'm meant to be doing and I'm really enjoying it. And really, Gail and Jacki make it easy to have great results with their truly inspired colorways.


gratuitous picture of the dog with the wheel. :o)

5 Comments:

  • Yours is a beauty, too! We clearly bought our wheels within a day of each other. I wish you as happy spinning on yours as I am on mine! :-)

    By Blogger Jessica, at 7:34 PM  

  • Oooh, cute puppy! Oh, and the wheel's nice, too. :) When does the drum carder get its own post? :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:10 PM  

  • Congratulations on getting your own wheel! It's a beauty!!!
    Happy Spinning... can't wait to see it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:34 AM  

  • Oh Julie, what a beautiful spinning wheel! I'd love a demonstration sometime. Spinning is still a mystery to me, but I love to admire the wooden wheels. It looks perfect! Congrats! Pam

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:51 PM  

  • Love, love the wheel. You certainly deserve a beauty like that. I've never seen anyone pick up spinning the way you did. You certainly have found your calling. You aren't a half bad knitter either. When's my first lesson?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home