All Yarn, All the Time

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Blue Sweater

detail of the buttons and cables. The color is truer in the picture below.

I've been busy and haven't had time to post, but I have lots to update and I'm going to break it into 3 installments, the first of which is to reveal the finished blue cabled sweater! Posts to follow will include the finished Pistachotis, one sunny day sock, and my new spinning wheel!

Pattern: "Aran Family" women's cardigan from Knitting the New Classics by Kristin Nicholas
Yarn: NatureSpun worsted 100% wool, "Bit of Blue" color
Needles: Addi Turbo US 5 (or 6?) and KnitPicks circular US 4
Buttons: LaMode Vintage #1728, Circa 1900-1919 that I found at Joanns.
Modifications: I made it a little bit longer, and it blocked out even longer than I expected but I like where it hits me, mid-hip. I wore it this weekend to the Fiber Event in Greencastle, IN and got a few compliments and a few "you MADE it?!"s and it kept me very warm. I did get a lot of remarks on my most attractive buttons.

This is probably the 4th or 5th sweater I've made from this book (including the sweater the man is wearing on the cover). I've been pleased with the way the patterns are written, and they really are basic, classic designs for the most part.

This sweater was easy enough to knit, but I got bored with it in several places and put it down for long periods - I think it was November, maybe even October when I started the back. I knit the sleeves at the same time after I finished the back, and then knit the fronts likewise. I actually finished knitting the sweater parts in March, but the finishing took hours and hours, from having to seam it together, knit the button bands and sew those on, and pick up stitches to knit the neck band on and I couldn't tolerate just getting it done at once. Still, I would say it was worth it, and I'm sure I'll get a lot of wear out of this.

Draped over the wool winder for scale, sorry I don't have a picture of me wearing it.
The back is also fully cabled. As always you can click a picture for a big view.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home